Catherine McAuley was the Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy in Dublin,
Ireland in 1831. She sought to extend mercy and seek justice for the
poor, especially women and children. The Sisters of Mercy came to the
New World to pursue missions of mercy primarily in health and in
education. In 1895 the Sisters of Mercy established a sanitarium in the
Adirondacks at Gabriels to care for those afflicted with tuberculosis.
About fifty years later the sanitarium at Gabriel’s closed. The Sisters of Mercy opened Uihlein Mercy Center in 1968 in Lake Placid, New York. Mercy General Hospital, which the Sisters had founded in Tupper Lake, New York was also turned into a nursing home. Decades later Mercy Uihlein Health Foundation was established to secure support for the two nursing homes.
In 2007, the Sisters of Mercy transferred ownership of the nursing homes to Adirondack Medical Center, due to inadequate Medicaid reimbursement rates under their ownership. Mercy Uihlein Health Foundation previously supported the two nursing homes but had no reason to continue, as the hospital had its own foundation. The Board of Directors of the Mercy Uihlein Health Foundation proposed that the mission of long-term care of the Sisters of Mercy which began in the Adirondacks in 1895, continue by developing a mission to serve the growing population and needs of elders who were attempting to age in place for as long as possible. Board Members noted that many elders in the Tri-Lakes area, living in their own homes, were experiencing problems, and often were lonely and isolated.